The Fat Femme Wedding
Spring is here again and it’s time to share some plus size, queer femme, wedded bliss. The four of us (myself, Lauren, Kelly, and Rachel) had a lovely time modeling some gorgeous plus size ModCloth wedding and bridesmaid gowns.
The union took place on a cool spring day in a Logan Square park. We were surprised by a sweet kitty who joined us for some photos. After the ceremony, we headed to adorable local bakery Paper Moon Bakery for vegan treats and enjoyed the beautiful floral and succulent centerpieces.
It was a perfect day. Fantastical Chicago-local floral designers Green and Gold provided the beautiful hair pieces, shoulder piece and centerpieces. Hairstylist Anna Jackson did a gorgeous job styling our lovely locks. MUA and nail designer Gina ‘Gigi’ Lira made our faces look even more delightful with her custom lip colors (I NEED MINE IN A TUBE - it’s the most perfect shade of purple pink!). Nail polish was provided by fat femme indie nail polish brand PLUMP (colors Fupa and Crop Top Goth)
Adrift on a Cloud white lace dress - Sz 24 (this dress runs quite small!), Modcloth
Waxed Denim Moto Jacket - Sz 16, H&M
Crystal Crown Tiara - ManIsFive
Tights - Sz 1x, Target
Black Doc Martens, model’s own
Glitz & Enamor blush sequin dress - Sz 24, Modcloth
Martha’s Ride No. 2 pearl bracelet, King Onye
Hair jewelry - Frond and On Necklace, Modcloth
Silver wedges - model’s own
Floral Shoulder piece - Green and Gold
All Over Elegance cream chiffon and lace dress - Sz 14, Modcloth
Rose Quartz necklace - LovelyMusings Etsy
Snake Arm Band - model’s own
Lace Tights - model’s own
Floral Doc Martens - model’s own
Floral headpiece - Green and Gold
All the details
- Kelly’s art tumblr. Kelly’s curation tumblr. Kelly’s band.
- Rachel’s high-praised food blog, Dinner Was Delicious.
- Lauren’s art portfolio and personal tumblr
- I think you all know me, Amanda but you should follow my instagram!
We are pleased to announce an event we’ve been working on getting going!Proud Mary Vintage and Lovesick Vintage present: The Swap and Shop.
Here’s the deal:
*Clothing swap for sizes 12 and up. All genders are welcome to donate, participate, and attend. Clothing must be larger than a size 12/Large or equivalent in men’s sizing. Use your best judgement!
*We will not be turning anyone away from attending but please keep in mind this is a body positive event. Hateful/hurtful language or actions will get you kicked out. This is a safe space for people of all sizes. Leave your shitty attitudes at home and come have fun!
*A donation location and time will be announced for the weekend prior. If you would like to drop your swap donation off ahead of that, please email us to set it up! Absolutely NO donations will be accepted at the event. Swap tables will be set up prior to the start of the event.
*Donating swap items will get you a raffle ticket. Keep this raffle ticket! There will be 3-4 raffles throughout the night! Additional raffle tickets will be available for sale at the event. Proceeds go to paying for the entertainment that comes out of our pockets.
*Raffle sponsors include: Virgie Tovar, Redress, Chubby Cartwheels and Early to Bed! They’re all great, check out links below!
*There will be items for sale as well from Lovesick Vintage, Proud Mary Vintage, and Redress (hellooooo teggings!) Any clothing for sale will be limited to sizes 12 and up.
*The event will be held in the venue side of The Burlington. Music and photo booth will be set up for your enjoyment.
*We are working with local fatshion bloggers to attend.
*Burlesque performance at 8pm by the awesome Vanna Tease!
Sponsor links:Facebook event:https://m.facebook.com/events/577181255706498
Hey Chicago/Midwest readers! I cannot wait for this awesome Plus Size clothing swap and sale.
I will be there - more details as they are available!
Librarian Witch Looks for a Winter Day
Some days call for a dark wintery look infused with vintage. I found this great plus size skirt at Knee Deep Vintage when I was in Pilsen a few weeks ago shopping with my friend HL. Knee Deep has an amazing collection of curated vintage clothing, but I love them so much for carrying lots of plus size pieces. The owner is super friendly and loves helping find the perfect outfit. I ended up with a great vintage slip and a cute sparkly vintage sweater as well. Absolutely make sure you stop by and check them out - as well as so many other great vintage shops in Pilsen. I probably need to make a neighborhood guide soon!
Of course a winter look could not be complete without some decent boots and a thick pair of tights - it’s just too cold in Chicago otherwise.
Vintage Wool Coat - Thrifted
Black floral skirt - thrifted from Knee Deep Vintage
Sheer White Shirt - Forever 21+, Sz 2X
Cranberry tights - Merona, Sz 2X
Boots - Topshop
Belt - H&M (men’s section)
Earrings - Tarnish
Glasses - SEE Eyewear
Necklace - Forever 21
InTheThickofIt guide to Logan Square, Chicago
I get a lot of requests about what to do in Chicago. It’s a huge city. I’m going to be doing a few neighborhood guides.
My first guide features Logan Square - a great neighborhood on the northwest side of Chicago - accessible by the California and Logan Square stops on the Blue Line. The neighborhood was started by Danish and Norwegan settlers in the 1830s, but has been a changing neighborhood with significant Polish, Puerto Rican and Mexican populations in recent years. Besides the actual square (at milwaukee/kedzie/logan) there are many beautiful parks in the area and some gorgeous churches built in the late 1800s. If you’re looking for both cultural significance, beautiful relaxing green spaces, and great food/shopping - Logan is a great place to spend the day.
These are just a few of the many places to eat, drink and shop in Logan. I assure you there are many many more. I’m just featuring my favorites!
- gaslight roasters - 2385 N Milwaukee Ave - a beautiful space to have unique locally roasted coffee. warning, there are no decaf espresso options.
- intelligentsia - 2642 North Milwaukee Avenue - a chicago classic, the new logan square location is a gorgeous glass-window setting with tin-ceiling interior. They offer a wide variety of pour-over, espresso, and teas. many decaf options availble and great pastries
- logan hardware - 2410 W Fullerton - the unusual name of this record store comes from the face that it used to be located in the old logan hardware store. It has since moved to a new and larger shop, but the name remains. They have a fantastic selection of both new and used records, but also cassettes, audio equipment, and VIDEO GAMES. Additionally there is a huge FREE arcade filled with 1980s/classic arcade games and pinball. You can easily spend an entire afternoon here.
- bucket o blood - 2307 N Milwaukee Ave - this great locally owned shop carries horror/fantasy/sci-fi books and lots of used new wave/indie records. i love the weird finds i come across there.
- chicago diner - 2333 N Milwaukee Ave - this vegetarian staple in chicago has a new location in logan square. they’ve got their usual vegan fare and delicious “milkshakes” but also a full bar with fantastic cocktails. A must for any vegetarian/vegan (and frankly i think anyone will appreciate)
- ground control - 3315 W Armitage Ave - another vegetarian restaurant in logan, but this one has both vegetarain AND vegan fare. Great food, super cute atmosphere.
- bang bang pie - 2051 N California Ave - a pie shop that also serves amazing buttery biscuits. I know. Amazing. They have a variety of toppings for the biscuits including vegetarian gravy, regular gravy, ham, cheese, homemade butters and jams. Plus PIE! They’ve got a great outdoor space to sit in if it’s warm enough!
- lula cafe - 2537 N Kedzie Blvd - this is farm-to-table dining at a price that won’t kill. It’s been around for a long time and they just keep getting better. Recently they expanded their space to include a gorgeous bar with crafted cocktails. They have lots of options for both meat eaters and vegetarian (I personally recommend the 6-course vegetarian tasting menu which is usually $45). It’s also a hit for brunch. Make sure to check out the artwork, which changes often
- reno - 2607 N Milwaukee Ave - if you’re looking for something easy for lunch or brunch, reno has great easy pizzas and salads. It’s got a very farm-to-table flair, but again the prices won’t break the bank.
- fleur - 3149 W Logan Blvd - this technically is a floral shop, but with all the amazing home goods (candles, stationary, ornaments) and easily portable plants, you’ll surely find something here to please yourself or a friend
- shop 1021 - 2650 N Milwaukee Ave - this shop features hand-picked gifts, stationary, cute ephemera. it’s well curated and a must-see.
- galerie f - 2381 N Milwaukee Ave - this is part gallery, part shop. They feature well-known national and local screen printers on their walls, but also they offer hundreds of prints by those artists for sale. Think Flatstock on a smaller scale. they also have cool events, so make sure to check out their FB if you’re planning a visit
- farmers market - in the square - on SUNDAYS between may and october the farmers market is the place to be. A huge variety of things from local booze, local honey, fruits/veg and lots of food carts. There is a winter market location - check this page for more details.
- wolfbait - 3131 W Logan Blvd - this shop has so many different kinds of items - jewelry, stationary, clothing, great gifts. they’ve got a lot of chicago-themed stuff that isn’t the traditional souvenier, which is great for anyone visiting.
- uncharted books - 2630 N Milwaukee Ave - this great used bookstore is a must-stop on your logan square tour. plus it’s owned by the partner of a fellow femme plus size person that I love. they host lots of events too - make sure to check out their page to see what is happening!
- the whistler - 2421 N Milwaukee Ave - this is the bar that really started the craft cocktail scene in logan square. They’ve got an amazing bar and back patio. Additionally, they host lots of great music nights, including several queer events each month. Very LGBTQ friendly.
- the owl - 2521 N Milwaukee Ave - it’s kinda divey and dank, but has great cocktails and music. It’s right on the square, so it’s hard to miss.
- Taqueria moran - 2226 N California Ave - big ass burritos and great salsa
- Cozy Diner - 2294 N Milwaukee Ave - true diner style food, fantastic pancakes and eggs
- Revolution Brewery - 2323 N Milwaukee Ave - locally brewed beer and fantastic upscale(ish) bar food
- the Gap OUTLET - 2778 N Milwaukee Ave - they carry larger sizes (up to 18/20) which aren’t true plus, but it’s still a good inexpensive resource
- Butterfat Tattoo - My tattoo artist runs this beautiful space. It’s by appointment only and good luck getting one, but i would be silly not to mention it. Plus there are often lots of guests that come in and do have spots available!
And dont’ forget to check out the amazing mural/graff art all over logan square.
90’s Vintage Plus Size Daisy Print Dress
It’s so hard for me to call 90’s clothes “vintage” since that was my teenage era and well, I just can’t admit that I’m vintage. But I am - I know. And I had a dress exactly like this in 1995 when I was a sophomore in high school. I loved it and I used to wear it with a flannel and my green suede Dr. Martens.
That old dress bit the dust many years ago, but I found this great version while shopping at Lovesickvintage. Owner Britteny has a fantastic collection of VINTAGE PLUS SIZE CLOTHES - I know, the holy grail, right? I highly recommend checking out her etsy site and for those in Chicago, stop by Market Days at Township on Sundays.
I’m going to relive my teenage years in the most adult way - by going to brunch and a few coffee shops. A perfect sunday for this outfit. I snuck in a photo of my sweetheart S - wearing his sunday favorite outfit.
Daisy print 90s dress - Lovesick Vintage
Flannel - thrifted (Men’s size L)
Denim Jacket - GAP
Dr. Martens - via nordstrom rack
Triangle Necklace - Forever 21
Purse - Forever 21
Crystal bullet necklace - etsy, lovelymusings
Glasses - SEE Eyewear
Earrings - etsy
S is wearing a denim shirt from H&M, Shorts are H&M, Shoes are Dr Martens canvas lace-ups, necklace from Forever 21
5’9” 220# queer fat femme